Is it Time
For Dental Implants?
All I Want For Christmas is My Two Front Teeth!
Dental implants are highly effective in replacing missing teeth and come with many benefits over dentures or bridgework. Because dental implants are secured in the jawbone, they become much like your natural teeth and won’t slip, make noise, or cause damage to nearby teeth.
Read More! What to do When a Tooth is Knocked Out
What is a Dental Implant?
A dental implant replaces tooth roots with titanium metal posts that are secured in the jawbone. They provide a strong foundation for both fixed and removable teeth that are made to match your natural teeth.
Dental implants require a surgical procedure where a titanium post is placed into the bone socket of the missing tooth. As the jawbone heals, it grows around the post, anchoring it securely. This process can take 6 to 12 weeks. Once the implant has bonded, a small connector called an abutment is attached to the post. Your new tooth is then attached to the abutment.
To make your new tooth, the dentist makes impressions of your teeth and creates a model of your bite. The replacement tooth, called a crown, is based on this model and the color is matched to your natural teeth.
Who Can Receive an Implant?
Dr. Karly Canney, one of our three dentists on staff at St. Croix Family Dentistry, states that “Generally people who are missing one or more teeth and whose jawbone has reached full growth (generally around 15 to 17 years of age) can be a good candidate for dental implants”.
You also need adequate bone to secure the implant, have good oral health, and must be physically healthy enough to undergo surgery. People with uncontrolled chronic diseases—such as diabetes or heart disease—or patients who have undergone radiation treatment to the head and neck need to be evaluated on an individual basis.
Benefits of Dental Implants
There are several benefits to dental implants, versus dentures or bridgework.
- Because implants are secured to the jawbone, they look, feel, and function like natural teeth.
- The success rate of dental implants is very high, and they are extremely durable. Many will last a lifetime.
- Because the implant becomes a part of you, there is no discomfort that can come with removable dentures and your speech will not be affected due to slipping.
- Dental implants provide the convenience of being able to care for your mouth as you normally would. There is no need to remove and clean anything and you eliminate the need for denture adhesives.
- Dental implants do not require the alteration of nearby teeth, like a tooth-supported bridge does.
- Because dental implants look like your natural teeth, you get your smile back, improving self-esteem.
We’re Here to Help
If you are missing one or more teeth, we know you have questions. Our trained staff are here to listen, provide information, and help you make a treatment decision. We look forward to meeting with you!
we are part of your community
We proudly Serve the Entire St. croix Valley!
We serve the entire St. Croix Valley, including St. Croix Falls, Taylors Falls, Osceola, Turtle Lake & Grantsburg areas. Our full service dental clinic can still ensure you have the best dental hygiene possible. New patients are always welcome, so come visit us today to discuss your options. You’ll see for yourself why patient satisfaction is so high. Our friendly staff are more than happy to help!